Its that time of year again, where I look at the Year that was, and do the customary Year that was Meme.
MEME: The Year That Was 2014
1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before? OK, New things :-
- Became one of the Principles in Chapter
- Resigned from my Mother Lodge 🙁
- Visited in an order other than Craft. (Oddly I have never visited any side order)
- Visited a SRIA Collage
- Visited a RA Chapter
- Became a founding member of an official Group (North Wales Chapter of the Widows Sons MBA)
- Missed Rehearsals for the 1st (and 2nd) time.
- Took a None-Ladder Office for the first time
- Took an Administrative Office for the first time.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I Have stopped setting Resolutions for myself as I have discovered that I am really crap at sticking to them. But I have discovered over the last few years I am better at completing challenges, so that is what I do instead. 2014 was the “Challenge Pursuits“. And in 2015 I am taking part in a Triple Creative Challenge with MaguirePete.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes. My Eldest Nephews Girlfriend gave birth to a little girl who apparently does not look like every other baby on the planet but is beautiful and special.
4. Did anyone close to you die? No. I do not believe anyone close to me died this year. I do not recall going to any funerals.
5. What countries did you visit? The usual suspects of England/Wales. I did go through Bala which should really be classed as it’s own country, if not it’s own planet!
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014? A Presented Paper, Enthusiasm, an Intern/PA. OK. I would actually settle for Enthusiasm to get on and work on the many unfinished projects and ideas I have, instead of wasting so much time. Oh, I should add “less unfinished Projects” to the want list. Darn I really need a PA/Intern.
7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
- 13th October – The day I resigned from my Mother Lodge.
- 3rd December – The Day I got my 1st None-Ladder Office
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Being asked to be “Director of Studies” in SRIA, since that is a responsible role, generally given to experienced and knowledgeable members. And it felt even more of an achievement because 3 separate members who I admire suggested me for the job at different times.
9. What was your biggest failure? Leaving my mother lodge. YES I know it was not really a personal failure, since I left for the right reasons, but it still feels like a failure, like maybe I should have done more to stop it heading in the direction it did. Ah the Voice of Doubt, why don’t you go back to Wil where you belong. *1
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Yes. Inflamed Rotator Cuff, which let me tell you is not fun. Especially when it’s your dominant arm that you loose the use of.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Well up until December, my answer was going to be a USB Memory stick with a USB connector one side, and a miniUSB connector on the other, so it could plug into computers, tablets, & phones! BUT in December I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy S5, and I got myself a new tablet as a joint Birthday & Christmas gift to myself. So I would now answer Samsung Phone & Samsung Tablet.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration? My Niece for doing so well in her exams, getting into the collage course she wanted, and getting herself a part time job.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed? A certain group of people, that I will not name since I still have to deal with them. *2
14. Where did most of your money go? Diesel for communing, New Toys, & Books. Normal money drains really.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Becoming one of the Principles in Chapter. *3
16. What song will always remind you of 2014? Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner
c) richer or poorer? Richer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Writing, Visiting & playing games.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worrying, Procrastinating, & wasting time.
20. How will you be spending Christmas? Well since it is now past Christmas, I can answer this with 100% accuracy. I got up and went to my parents house to open presents in the morning, along with my Sister & niece. Then for Christmas Dinner we all went to my Sisters for the first time. And since her fiance did the cooking, the meal was excellent and no one got food poisoning 😉 Then in the evening I watched (as tradition demands) the Doctor Who special, which was a bit disapointing.
21. What was your favourite month of 2014? December. Because I got my new phone, New Tablet, and the DofS job in S.R.I.A. all in December.
22. Did you fall in love in 2014? Alas No. I am still a high functioning Sociopath. *4
23. How many one-night stands? I do not believe in one-night stands. How can you tell if you realy like something unless you try it at least a couple of times?
24. What was your favourite TV programme? Sheesh. Here we go. Arrow, Flash, NCIS*, Castle, Sleepy Hollow, Agents of Shield, Haven, Blacklist, Person of Interest, etc… etc…
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? “Hate leads to suffering” and I do not make myself suffer! Or to put it another way. No. There are no new people on “The List” this year.
26. What was the best book you read? Hard to choose, But I can short list it to :-
- Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow
- Boneshaker by Cherie Priest
- Cold Days by Jim Butcher
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? I made NO new musical discoveries this year. The office has become a music free zone, so there has not been much music in 2014.
28. What did you want and get? New Phone, New Tablet!
29. What did you want and not get? Enthusiasm, Love,
Slaves A PA/Intern, A new House (Not easy finding one I like, I may be fussy?)
30. What was your favourite film of this year? This is an easy choice this year. “Guardians of the Galaxy” I loved that film, just the right amounts of Comedy, Action, SciFi and they managed to cram in, Car chase, Bar fight, War, Love story, Betrayal, A dance off? and… and.. and….. a talking tree!
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I spent the day as I would any other day. After a time birthdays become meaningless. I believe its as soon as you no longer get toys as gifts 😉
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? The Zombie Apocalypse. Seriously, How cool would that have been!
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014? Mostly Cargo Pants (I like the extra pockets) Jumpers, and in work Coats…. Oh and suits, because suits are awesome…… True story
34. What kept you sane? Sane? Sane? “You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means”
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? The character Felicity Smoak from Arrow/Flash. Looks & Brains, a perfect combination.
36. What political issue stirred you the most? None, I don’t do politics.
37. Who did you miss? No one. “ high functioning Sociopath” Remember? Remember? from Question 22?
38. Who was the best new person you met? I’ve met a few interesting people from S.R.I.A. and some great new friends on Twitter. But No one person stands out as the “best new person”
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014?. Some people are just Dicks, and it is often better for your soul and life to just walk away than to try and deal with them. Remember “The rat race is mainly for rats, so make sure you are the guy in the white coat it’s a lot less stressful” *5
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
This conversation just keeps going
Want to get through this without you knowing
You can see it in my eyes
My calculating bullshit lies
You look at me so appalled
’cause I don’t recognize you at all
Now am I an asshole
Or are you just boring?
‘Cause one of these two things must be true
Am I self absorbed, preoccupied, and shockingly cunty
Or is there just nothing memorable about you?
Well even if I’m arrogant and totally suck
I’m still betting on the latter ’cause you’re bland as fuck. *6
“The voice of Self Doubt” & “Prove to everyone” are supposed to live in the mind of Wil Wheaton!
“REVENGE IS A DISH BEST SERVED COLD”
I spent a good twenty minutes staring at that question trying to remember something that happened in 2014 that i got really excited about, and that was the best thing i could come up with.
Remember this answer from last year?
Also remember *2
“I dont know you” by Garfunkel and Oates