Its that time of year again, where I look at the Year that was, and do the customary Year that was Meme.
MEME: The Year That Was 2012
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before? Lets see, Hum? :–
- Became a Rosicrucian (S.R.I.A.), Attended Rosicrucian Meetings, Installation, Saw a Ceremony, Acted as an officer in a Ceremony Etc.
- Stayed in the Chair for a Second Year. I’m adding this here because not only was this a first for me, but I am the first person in the history of my Lodge to do two years in a row in the chair of KS.
- Had an Active role in Chapter, Which also Includes performing an Exhalation as P.Soj (Those that Know will understand)
- Had a Book published on Amazon.
- Wrote and Published a WordPress Plugin.
Wow. 2012 was a busy year for New Things!!
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Last year instead of picking some arbitrary resolutions which I would then forget or not stick to, I decided to set myself a 12 in 12 Challenge. and I did not do too bad. I failed 2 of the 12. I should point out in total the 12 in 12 ended up having 127 individual tasks, and I only managed to complete 125 of them. I am claiming this as a WIN!. So to start planing next years challenge.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? I do not think so. I do not recall anyone going on about babies, or any really big women suddenly becoming slim again. SO I will have to answer NO to this one.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes.
- My step-aunt (? My mothers step sister, So not sure on what the technical name is. Second Aunt?) Died of a Heart attack at the end of November, which was made worse with her younger brother also having a heart attack on the same day and being rushed into hospital for an operation. And they were both not that much older than me.
- A Cantankerous Old Coot from NJ, Who I may never have met in person, but still spoke to on-line. Mr Thorn, you were a decent bloke (A rare thing in these days) even if you were a bit misguided about the Welsh 😉
5. What countries did you visit? None, NaDa, Niltch, I really need to pick somewhere to go on Holiday.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012? Love, A version of COD with no Cheaters, Joy of Work, A plan, Enthusiasm. Oh and an Intern/PA, and A version of COD with no Cheaters (I felt that needed going in twice)
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? May 14th (When I joined the S.R.I.A.) & Nov 27th (When I became a Published Author)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Becoming a Published Author in my own name (As apposed to bits in other peoples works). And the fact that more than one hundred copies were downloaded from Amazon in the first 24 hours. With it reaching #33 In the Horror eBook chart, and #700 In the Full eBook chart with over ONE THOUSAND copies downloaded in under a week, and seeing an Author I respect tweeting he had bought a copy.
9. What was your biggest failure? Not completing the full 12 in 12 challenge (Although 2 failures is not too bad). And not finding my lost Enthusiasm.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nope, other than the normal bumps and bruises you pick up in the course of a Year. Such as jumping up off the sofa to answer the phone without realising your legs have gone to sleep because you are sat in a weird position, and then face planting yourself into the desk.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Kindle Paperwite. Its the best device I have every tried for reading books. And maybe my new 6TB NAS.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My Niece for the way she tried to comfort my mother when she received the news of my Aunts death, and the fact she texted everyone on the morning of the funeral to make sure everyone kept an eye on my mother). Not to mention the workload she is currently under with School, Collage, and two choirs, and Young Leader in the guides. (Hell and her two favorite shows are Big Bang Theory, and How I Met Your Mother, she gets points for that)
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Whoever missed out The eldest Brother & three Sisters from the list of Brothers and Sisters named (Several times) During my Aunts funeral. That was wrong, Petty, and hurt them!
14. Where did most of your money go? Diesel for commuting, and new Toys (Laptop, NAS, Computer Games, Books, New Kindle paperwhite, New Car)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Flirting with Jeri “7of9” Ryan On Twitter, Chatting to Bonnie Burton, Felicia Day & Veronica Belmont on Twitter (And possibly sourcing a epub version of a VF Book for them) Its been a Good year for Twitter. Seeing my own Book on Amazon, and reading the reviews I got. Not to mention seeing a well known Author tweet he had just bought a copy. Oh and finally Joining S.R.I.A.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012? “I’m the One That’s Cool” By The Guild/Knights of Good.Its almost a geek anthem for the Year. Because its now the “Age of the Geek” our time is now, as was foretold in the bible “The Geek shall inherit the earth!”
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner.
c) richer or poorer? Richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Falling in Love, Writing, Following my Dreams, Conquering the World, Finding a cure for the common cold and blackmailing people for the cure, You know, the simple pleasures in life.*1
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Putting things off, Being the only person in the office, and suffering from lack of enthusiasm.
20. How will you be spending Christmas? It is traditional in my Family for us all to gather at my parents house for a meal on Christmas day. So I will get up, go see my family, then to my Parents to err Help with the meal *2 then it will be an afternoon of being to stuffed to do anything bar drink and play games.
21. What was your favorite month of 2012? November Because it was when I became an Author and started what I hope to be a second career. Watch for more books to be released in 2013 *3
22. Did you fall in love in 2012? Alas No. I am high functioning Sociopath. *4
23. How many one-night stands? One night stands? None (I’m a gentleman! And a gentleman never sleeps & tells) *5
24. What was your favourite TV programme? I’m going to pick from new shows I only started watching in 2012, because there are too many old shows I like to list them all. How I met your Mother (Thanks PlanetPete), Arrow, & 30 Rock.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? You know what? NO! I do not believe I hate anyone this year that I did not hate previously. Maybe I am growing as a person, becoming more enlightened? Or is everyone already on THE LIST *6.
26. What was the best book you read? Confessor by Terry Goodkind. Not only was it a great book, But it explained and setup so much stuff from the “Sword of Truth” Series, it was great to see the how and why of so much stuff, and it gave you a different understanding of some of the lore.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? MC Frontalot.
28. What did you want and get? A Published Book, A new car.
29. What did you want and not get? To become IPM, Love,
Slaves A PA/Intern, A new House.
30. What was your favourite film of this year? This is a tricky one, since it has been a good year for films. and the competition has been fierce. I think I will have to go with “The Avengers” since it had the right levels of Action, Effects, & Comedy. It was the first action film that I actually laughed out loud while watching, I had seen in a long time. So that winds my vote. P.S. I have not yet seen the Hobbit, so I reserve the right to change my answer.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? My birthday this year fell on Installation day, So I should have spent it stepping down from power and installing my successor. But since I did not have one, I spent my Birthday staying in power, then having a BIG meal and loads of drinks with friends. It was a good day.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Not being the only Full time Inmate at the Asylum, A long lasting Relationship, More enthusiasm, Warmth, The Sun…
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012? It has been the coldest year on Record (Three Ninjas Records) So mostly Cargo Pants (I like the extra pockets) Jumpers, and in work Coats…. Oh and suits, because suits are awesome…… True story.
34. What kept you sane? Sane? Sane? “You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means”
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Veronica Belmont, Host of Sword & Laser, Tekzilla, Vaginal Fantasy Book Club, etc. She has all the right Qualifications, Looks, Personality, Intelligence, And Geeky Leanings/Hobbies & Interests. And I’d like to add Alyson Hannigan to this as a last minute add, Due to the amount of “How I met your mother” I have been watching, and I recently re-watched the American Pie series of fims.
36. What political issue stirred you the most? The fact the UK is giving so much money in aid to countries that have asked us to stop, but we are still sending it even though we need that cash ourselves.
37. Who did you miss? No one. “ high functioning Sociopath” Remember? Remember? from Question 22?
38. Who was the best new person you met? I’ve met a few interesting people from S.R.I.A. and some great new friends on Twitter. But No one person stands out as the “best new person”
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012. Dreams can come true, if you just work at them.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Role reversal must be a total drag
But there’s no point, no point for me to humblebrag
I appreciate you for being cruel
I’m burning bright thanks to your rejection fuel
Got my in-jokes you won’t get
Like Honey Badger, Troll Face and Nyan Cat
So now your ballin’ parties seem so dumb
You can Evite me, and I’ll say yes, but I won’t really come
I’m the One That’s Cool by The Guild
*1 Yes I know this is the exact answer that I gave last year. This is because A)My Feelings & Situation have not changed since I answered last year, and B) Its a cool answer
*2 Well, This year they are having their children, Grand children and great grandchild around for the meal, and as such I can imagine there will be lots of work to be done cooking, preparing, organising, etc. I am volunteering my services to play computer games with my nephews to keep them amused and out the way.
*3 Thats if the World does not in fact end this year.
*4 see *1 Yes I am that lazy!
*5 See *4. OK, I need help.
*6 Just Kidding there is no list. *7
*7 Oh, There is a List.
Its that time of year again, where I look at the Year that was, and do the customary Year that was Meme.
MEME: The Year That Was 2011
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before? Stayed in the room during an Installation, Became an Installed Master, Took part in the 100 day challenge, Chaired a committee meeting.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? No! I do not even remember what they were. I have discovered that I am basically Crap at keeping resolutions, but am a lot better at sticking to challenges. So for next year I am thinking of doing a set of challenges for the year, a friend suggested 12 or 52 for the months/weeks of the year. I just need to think of some things I would like to achieve next year and sort out the challenge.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? I was going to answer Yes, PlanetPete to this question. Then I realised he only gave birth by proxie. So instead I shall adjust my answer slightly to be, Yes, Mrs PlanetPete AKA H, gave birth to the mini magoo foretold in legend, Henry (And yes, he does have a cat).
4. Did anyone close to you die? Luckily No.
5. What countries did you visit? None really, apart from the normal Wales/England. But I did spend some time with some Americans which should count as something.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011? Enthusiasm, Love, Joy of Work, A warm office, A published book.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Nov 3rd. When I got to meet Bingo, and was placed in the Chair of King Solomon by my Father.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Attaining the Chair of Solomon (Are we noticing a trend yet?)
9. What was your biggest failure? Only getting one of the items off the list from last years answer to question 6.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nope, Apart from the recovering from Vampire Eye which I got Dec 24th of 2010, and was dealt with at the beginning of 2011. But actual injury/Illness gotten in 2011, there is nothing.
11. What was the best thing you bought? A Tablet device, Great toy. Or my Galaxy S2 phone, which is much more superior to my old iPhone, or SkyRim as I am currently an addict.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration? My IPM for standing down part of the night to allow my father to put me into the chair (That trend again), & H for H.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed? Those who made picking officers awkward. Work people who left to secretly set up a company in competition.
14. Where did most of your money go? Diesel for commuting, and fix’s for my Video Game Addiction.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Going into the Chair of Solomon, Skyrim, and because I’m a sad geek William Fucking Shatner friending me on G+, and Robert Lomas following me on Twitter.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011? “G33k & G4m3r Girls” By Team Unicorn.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier, Because I have plans afoot.
b) thinner or fatter? Possibly fatter due to all the visiting as Master, and the multi-course meals.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer, Rising fuel prices, Global economic collapse, etc.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Falling in Love, Writing, Following my Dreams, Conquering the World, Finding a cure for the common cold and blackmailing people for the cure, You know, the simple pleasures in life.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Wasting time, and suffering from lack of enthusiasm.
20. How will you be spending Christmas? Christmas day will be spent with the family, My Parents like their children, grandchildren all together at Christmas. SO meal with them, then few drinks and Gameplay with my nephews, then more drinks and a movie.
21. What was your favourite month of 2011? Lets keep the trend going, November because I entered the Chair of Solomon.
22. Did you fall in love in 2011? Alas No. I am high functioning Sociopath.
23. How many one-night stands? One night stands? None (I’m a gentleman! And a gentleman never sleeps & tells)
24. What was your favourite TV programme? I’ll go for best New Show “Breaking In”, since there are way to many old favourites to mention. And in the words of Oz “I’ll allow it!”
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Hate leads to suffering. which leads to the Dark side. So Hate is a strong word, and one that should not be thrown about casually, ot haphazardly. But the short answer is YES.
26. What was the best book you read? I am going to go for a Trilogy instead of a single book, since i read all three back to back, as one long story. This is also the last three fiction books I have read, but I am going for Brent Weeks The Night-Angle Trilogy
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Team Unicorn. Even if they do only have one song out ATM.
28. What did you want and get? A Tablet. The Secrets of an Installed Master.
29. What did you want and not get? World Domination, True Love, Slaves,
30. What was your favourite film of this year? Thor
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I went to rehearsals on my actual birthday, then two days later (Or one depending when I was actually born) I was placed into the Chair of Solomon, then celebrated with friends drinking and enjoying a three course meal, and more drinks. I also had a joint birthday celebration in the wilds of Wales with some old Spod Friends.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? A better Job, A long lasting Relationship, More enthusiasm, less TFB.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011? Casual (Jeans & Sweatshirt/T-Shirt) Or Smart (Suit).
34. What kept you sane? Me Sane? Interesting theory you have there. Well I still have the magic stone from last year that I purchased off a traveling merchant that keeps away tigers & insanity. On a serious note, Friends bother the Real Life variety and the Net (Twitter/G+/Facebook) varieties.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Same as last year. “Felica Day. Well she’s attractive, Intelligent (Has a mathematics degree), Talented (She’s a singer, Actress, Writer, Director), She’s a Gamer/geek and grew up with a subscription to 2600 magazine. Whats not to like, she’s my ideal woman.” But also Michelle Boyd from Team Unicorn.
36. What political issue stirred you the most? None, I don’t do politics
37. Who did you miss? Old friends.
38. Who was the best new person you met? Several New friends on Twitter. Who are all special in their own ways. And so I don’t get “another” entry on the list Henry.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011. Oderint, Dum Metuant
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. Lets keep the trend going. :-
Should we talk about the governments that I control?
Should we talk about the hands of fate, the dice they roll?
The secret things you’ll never see?
The secret man you’ll never be?
I’m a Mason now by Jonathan Coultron
Well technically The Three Ninjas in its current format celebrated its second birthday on 12th January, but the Livejournal which started it all off, and who’s posts were exported onto here is six years old today.
Sit tight dear reader while I give you the brief history of how we came about, and why were are celebrating today!
19th May 2005:
A couple of us in the office created LiveJournal accounts so we could keep up with what our friends were doing, and so we could post random gibbering’s online during the slower parts of the day to try and keep us sane. My account was under the name penddraig, and the first ever post I made can be found here entitled “First Entry”
Our posts covered mostly the insanity of work, random thoughts & meme’s, and what we had been up too. Including a few funny themed posts like the “ICE phone scam“. Our little community grew with some constant interactions and comments from the same group of people.
8th January 2009:
With the sell off of LiveJournal to a Russian businessman, and the reported rumours it was closing down reported here in “Livejournal” (Plus the niggling voice telling me as an IT person I should have my own hosted blog) I decided to start my own self-hosted Blog using WordPress as the core system. I therefore set up wordpress, imported all my old LiveJournal posts into the new Blog and was up running.
12th January 2009:
Before I’d even finished setting up my blog, a friend from the old LiveJournal days expressed an interest in moving away as well. After a beer fuelled discussion, we decided to have a group or community blog. So After much discussion we settled on a domain name, and the Three Ninjas blog became a reality.
So without that original set of LJ posts, this blog would never have been here. So please take a minute to wish us (and GothNinja in particular) a Happy Blog Birthday.
Is it “National Nostalgia Week” or something?
Is there such an event?
If so, Why was I not informed?
If there is, how would the organisers control peoples memories?
If you have bad remembrances can you get a refund?
The Cake is not always a lie!
These and other pointless questions will not be answered in this post. It does make you think though, if today is INTERNATIONAL CAPSLOCK DAY, and people celebrate the annoying use of shoutyness in correspondence, is “National Nostalgia Week” such a insane suggestion? But I digress, I know its an uncommon thing for me to go slightly off-topic but that’s what I seem to have done here.
The concept of “National Nostalgia Week” has come about because this week seems to be a collection of things reminding me of days gone by, basically a string of nostalgic memories for bygone days. Let me share a few here for you dear reader.
I would like to report a missing person.
Well to be more accurate I would like to report a missing Anthropomorphic personification of an idea. (Try saying that when your drunk). Basically my muse has gone missing, and I would like to find her again.
Yes, My muse is female. Its my imagination, my story, and I intend to entertain myself. So for you my dear reader to keep up to speed just imagine Selma Hayek as the Muse Serendipity in Dogma, and we are up to speed. “Oh wait a second. Best imagine her naked offering beer!”
I started this Blog many years ago (When it was on LiveJournal) in an attempt to entertain myself in work, and to try and get back into the habit of writing so that I could be more creative and kill the apathy I had got myself into. Which it did help with a lot. Only for the last week, I have had complete writers block on anything to write.
My mind is blank of ideas, which is a scary thought as my brain never ever shuts up. It talks 24/7, if I want it to or not. So for it to go silent on ideas is a bit weird.
So if anyone sees my muse, can you please send her home.