I often refer to myself as a SPOD. due to my years Spodding on different telnet talkers and the like, Unfortunately I now often get asked “What is a Spod?” from the uninitiated youngsters that litter the Interwebs these days. So since its a semi-FAQ I hunted out the old description of Spod from the help files on some Talkers that are still floating about if you know where to look.
- A person who is nearly always found slumped over a keyboard, usually from the minute they awaken (if they even slept at all) to the minute they pass-out on their keyboard.
Classic examples of spods are : Athanasius, Psmith, Pendragon and Sparky.
Generally you can tell a spod from a room full of ppl as he/she will be the one having a conversation with another person in the room using the computer.
Note: A spod can always type faster than he/she can write:)
A spod is easily distinguished by the following characteristics:
1. Extraordinarily long login times to talkers and/or Muds
2. Knows a dangerous amount of info about the internet – more than any person should.
3. Often known to break into computer labs after hours just to telnet.
4. Sometimes name their favorite terminals
5. Often witness beautiful sunrises and/or sunsets… from a computer terminal.
6. Spod Eyes syndrome – Eyes feel as if they will not budge after long hours spent at a terminal.